Sunday, January 17, 2010

Image Capture to the Rescue

For all of you that have been struggling to get your scanner working, try using Image Capture. Many sites advocate using System Preferences "Print and Fax" pane or Preview's "import image" function, but neither of those worked for me. If you have your new drivers from the apple site installed (see previous post for link), this should work for you. If it doesn't, well, try the others, then sue HP.
To find Image Capture, I used spotlight. Some of you clever people might have it's actual location, but I don't. It will ask you to select a device, the tells you to press "scan" to start scanning. Unlike Preview and the print and fax pane, this one actually recognised the scanner, and started scanning right away.
I was pleased.

Note: the page that told me about Image Capture can be found here.

One more thing- You will probably want to uncheck the "Detect Separate Items" box.

Related posts:
Apple and HP: The Unholy Union
Temporary Fixes
The Scanner... Again...

2 comments:

  1. i'm happy to have come across your blog. my hp printer's giving me the same headache. being a luddite, i will need more time to process what you've shared here. many thanks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete