Saturday, April 4, 2009

Where Is Serena Butler When We Need Her?

Those of us who believe that the machines will develop artificial intelligence and become "thinking machines" now have proof. They are taking over the world... one defenceless old lady at a time. It's not just our computers that are planning to take over the world, torture all humans, and enslave those who survive, it's the so-called "helpful" machines as well.
And it's not just Frank Herbert that foresaw this menace, Battlestar Galactica shares his suspicions. This article proves that their fears are not unfounded! We need Serena Butler, the heroine of the Butlerian Jihad. She inspired humanity to rebel against the thinking machines, to fight them despite the overwhelming odds against them.
I think that I'll smash my computer tonight. It's not worth the risk.
Or I would, if I wasn't addicted to solitaire. There's nothing quite like getting beat by a computer at a game that is designed to match your wits against a deck of (usually poorly shuffled) cards. The euphoria brought on by "beating" the sadistic thinking machine is worth the risk of having such a dangerous thing in my home.
And besides being addicted to solitaire, I'm a fan of wasting time online. How could I do that without a computer?
Serena would be disappointed, but she's a work of fiction. My solitaire games and I should be safe from the jihad.

No comments:

Post a Comment